28 August 2014

the sky is falling! Laguna de Apoyo - Nicaragua

In the centre of the Nicaraguan Pacific coast, and in the middle of a long volcanic chain that runs lengthways through the country is one of the most beautiful lagoons in the world - Laguna de Apoyo.

This photo is a 'blast from the past' for me. I snapped it while backpacking through Nicaragua almost exactly five years ago today. And even now thinking back I still feel breathless by the sheer beauty and 'quiet' of this place...

Laguna de Apoyo - Nicaragua
Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua - 2009

If you want to experience nature without disturbance Nicaragua is your country. For a fraction of the price we saw so much more in Nicaragua than we did in neighbouring Costa Rica, which is overrun by noisy, wealthy tourists.

Can you imagine sky so blue, and as far as the eye can see... and only sharing it with three other people?

No doubt eco-tourism will boom in Nicaragua soon so get in quick.

12 comments:

  1. I loooooved Laguna de Apoyo! We lived in Granada for a bit and one of my favorite days was going to one of the small resorts and having the whole lake to ourselves (and for something crazy like $10 for a whole day). It's such an incredibly gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you lived in Granada! That's so cool. We spent a week there just chilling, enjoying the architecture and drinking the local rum :) Twas a fantastic week...

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! That lagoon and the horizon extend on for as far as the eye can see! What a magical spot!

    Carly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly, it is a very beautiful and quiet spot (for now)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous photo - looks like an amazing place. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Take a look here :) http://nomadseekhome.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination!! I actually wrote a Liebster Award post just a few weeks ago here if you want to check it out: http://somewhereyonder.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/tag-youre-it-liebster-blogging-award.html Claire xx

      Delete
  4. Stunning! I love the reflections. I'd love to visit Nicaragua one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Culturally it's pretty interesting, and the nature is fantastic.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love this photo!

    Greetings from LA
    http://janacalifornia.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quiet places like this, I hope that tourism doesn't suddenly boom there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day it will, I'm sure...

      Delete

Comments make my day. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics