23 August 2014

racing for life to beat cancer

Every year that I've lived in London I've taken part in Race for Life - a charity run for woman that takes place in parks all over the country over a series of weekends to raise money for Cancer Research UK.

Race for Life is in fact the largest woman-only fundraising event in the UK, and every year thousands of woman show their support by donning themselves in 'beautiful pink' and either running or walking a 5km or 10km distance, all in the name of beating cancer.

Race for Life 2013 - Hampstead Heath

In my time in London I've run the 5km events in Regents Park, Hampstead Heath and Hyde Park. And this year I summoned up the courage to complete the 10km Hyde Park event...

... I always love the atmosphere of Race for Life. Everyone that attends, the woman who are racing and their supporters (husbands, family, children, friends, colleagues) are there because they really want to be, and it means something. Pretty much these days I think it's hard to find anyone who's life hasn't been effected by cancer in some way, whether they've been diagnosed themselves or have a family member or friend that has.

You see cancer survivors running the course - how inspiring!

And all in the name of raising money to aid the research we need to one day beat cancer for good.

Race for Life 2014 - Hyde Park

Me? I run for my grandmother, and mother-in-law. And I'll run again next year too.

In fact, you can already sign up for 2015 Race for Life now (and get a early-bird discount I believe), so why not?

Have a great Bank Holiday weekend everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you, I've run once and I'd like to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good cause - and personally I love that it's woman only! Woop, girl power :)

      Delete
  2. I did Race for Life this year too :) It was such an amazing feeling when I finished! I'm hoping to do it again next year, maybe even the 10k!

    Charli | Charlotte Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Charli, I would definitely recommend doing the 10km. It's a great cause to run for and raise money for, and another great way to stay healthy.

      Delete
  3. Good for you. I think most of us have been affected by cancer in someway, so I know everyone reading will be applauding you as loudly as me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics