21 August 2014

a fishy morning at Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo

dawn fades as ice melts
nose, eyes and ears filled with fish
sushi for breakfast?

Tsukiji Fish Market (築地市場), better known outside of Japan as Tokyo's Central Wholesale Fish Market has been on my Japan must see list for years. So much to hubby's dismay (he doesn't eat or like seafood) I dragged him out of bed at the crack of dawn while we were in Tokyo to finally see Tsukiji with my very own eyes...

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

... and what I found was seafood as far as the eye could see of the never-ending variety, and a industrious, brisk atmosphere filled with scooters, trucks and people going about their daily business...

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan
walking though the narrow lanes of the inner market

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

Tsukiji Market is one of the world's largest fish markets, handling over 2,000 tons of marine products per day. It is made up of a inner market where most of the wholesale business and the famous tuna auctions take place, and a outer market whose retail shops carter to the general public. You can also buy the freshest sushi in the world here.

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan
a fish blood bath

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan
squid in its own black ink

Sadly, we didn't go to the Tuna Auction - numbers are limited to just 120 tourists a day, and if you want to get a spot this involves arriving at at 4:30am just to register. Needless to say hubby wasn't keen...

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan
tuna for sale

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

... we did however wander all around the wholesale area, which was full of hundreds of fish stands, buyers and sellers hurrying along the narrow lanes with their carts and trucks, yelling at any tourists who dared to cross their paths.

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

The smell was incredible - super fresh. And despite the blood I worked up an appetite so we left the inner market in search of food...

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan
the busy ring road that circles the inner market - watch out!

Inside Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

The outer area of Tsukiji Fish Market consists of several blocks of small retail shops and restaurants along bustling, narrow streets where tourists and locals alike go about their food shopping business.

The outer market - Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan
the outer market area

And what is the best breakfast of them all? Why sushi of course...

Sushi at the outer market - Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

While wandering around I also spotted edamame still on the plant, something I've never seen before.

The outer market - Tsukiji Fish Market - Tokyo, Japan

All in all, a great morning out and some of the best people watching and sushi I've had in years.

If you're in Tokyo and want to visit Tsukiji Market it's fairly easy to get to on the Oedo Subway Line. If you want to see the Tuna auction make sure you get there early! Or if you only want to explore the inner market like we did aim to arrive at 9am when it opens to tourists so you get some time to really experience the atmosphere before it quietens down.

Early morning sushi = happiness.

14 comments:

  1. Ah! I was dying to see the fish market when I was in Tokyo but couldn't convince my coworkers to get up for it. What a wild place to visit, I'm so happy you went. Kudos to you for feasting on sushi for breakfast too! Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo. I had a 'non blogger' moment, devoured the sushi and completely forgot to take photos!

      Delete
  2. It looks fascinating, what a great trip! I adore sushi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The people watching was pretty interesting :)

      Delete
  3. I like seafood but don't think I would enjoy Tsukiji fish market, I'm too squeamish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! Yeah I guess it's not the place for everyone. The size of the place is just amazing though.

      Delete
  4. That is absolutely terrifying! I don't think I could hack it (life-long vegetarian and forever creeped out by fish) but I'm sure my husband would be super into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I guess the question then is - could you/would you take on for the team?

      Delete
  5. We popped in by accident mid-morning an spent at least an hour fascinated by the goings-on. What a place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love visiting all kinds of markets. It sounds like the market to visit in Japan is a fish market. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, tourists can't actually purchase within the inner market, but there's plenty of goings on to observe.

      Delete
  7. It's high on my List of Places I Really Want To Go To. Would love to visit Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Dave. Tokyo will blow your mind. It has to be experienced! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics