10 March 2014

Vilnius, Lithuania - inspiring street art

This time last week I was exploring Vilnius, the capital city of Lithuania.

This trip was my first to Eastern Europe, and the city certainly had quite a different feel to it in comparison to many of the capital cities I've visited in Western Europe. Slightly quieter, more subdued and definitely a lot less tourists.

What I didn't know before arriving is that Lithuania only became independent from the Soviet Union in 1991 - which is not too long ago when you think about it. The country has a long history of occupation - first by the Soviet Union, then Germany during the second world war, and then the Soviet Union again. And I did wonder with the recent events currently unfolding in the Ukraine how close to home this must feel to locals here.

I'll talk more about the history of Lithuania over the next week - as I did the most amazing free walking tour in Vilnius while visiting - full credit to the amazing Martyna and her passionate story telling.

Street art - Vilnius, Lithuania

On arrival in Vilnius I did what I always do in any new place - got out on foot and explored without spending too much time looking at a map. I like to get a feel of a city this way. And what struck me initially about Vilnius? The amazing, inspiring street art. These photos are some snaps from my first few hours...

Statue - Vilnius, Lithuania
statue - holding up the ceiling 

Bird feeder - Vilnius, Lithuania
hand made bird feeder - there were many of these all over the city

The Birth of Venus by Botticelli  - Vilnius, Lithuania

Street art and painting  - Vilnius, Lithuania'hole-in-the-wall' print

Statue - Vilnius, Lithuania
reaching statue 

Colourful street art - Vilnius, Lithuania
something for everyone 

Inspiring street art - Vilnius, Lithuania
soldier and mother? 

Street art - Vilnius, Lithuania
I wana hold your hand... 

Street art - Vilnius, Lithuania
my favourite - so random, but very beautiful

Yarn bombing - Vilnius, Lithuania
yarn bombing - knitted graffiti for trees

Yarn bombing - Vilnius, Lithuania

I have so many more photos - but these are my favourites. Looking back I still can't quite believe how urban and creative Vilnius was. Definitely one of my favourite cities that I've visited in a while.

10 comments:

  1. I have never seen knitted graffiti on trees before, looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty cool huh? It seems to be a bit of a movement if you google 'yarn bombing'. Certainly adds some colour to a winter landscape!

      Delete
  2. Claire, I have a mild obsession for graffiti so your post makes me so happy! It's so amusing seeing the diverse forms of expression through art, especially in a place like Lithuania, which I don't have too much insight into. And yarn bombing always makes me think of sweet old ladies rebelliously knitting onto trees ~ such a great image!! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lis-ita. Glad you liked the post. I really didn't know what to expect when I arrived in Vilnius, but I completely fell head over heels for this city.

      Delete
  3. What an artistic city! I would definitely feel inspired to create something. Too bad I can't knit ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does taking hundreds of photos count as creating something?? :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah! I've been living in Vilnius for the past 7 months and it is great to hear someone's impressions of the city! The yarn bombed trees that you took a photo of are about a 1 minute walk from my apartment. I can't wait to read more about what you did next week!

    Elizabeth from luyoutravel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by, and glad you loved the post! It's always awesome to get feedback from someone who knows a place much better than I do. Watch this space :)

      Delete
  5. Knitted graffiti? How awesome is that?! I love all your street photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love street art and so great to see the examples of it all over the world. Loved seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics