3 March 2014

'pinch me' travel moments

Anyone who has succumbed to the travel bug will have experienced at least one 'pinch me' travel moment I'm sure.

You know what I mean - 'pinch me' travel moments are those life changing moments when you're standing somewhere that you never in your wildest dreams thought you would be, or seeing something you never thought you would see, except on TV maybe. They are moments that can change your perspective forever and make you feel alive.

Since I started travelling I've been lucky enough to experience more than my fair share. And I've become a bit of a travel addict to be honest. The more places I see, the longer my travel bucket-list seems to grow.

Here are five of my personal 'pinch me' moments...

1. Visiting MoMA - New York
After finishing my degree I spent almost 6-months in the United States working in San Francisco and travelling as much as I could afford (thanks Mum for helping me finance this trip). One of my first real 'pinch me' moments was visiting the Museum of Modern Art in New York and seeing original paintings and photographs I'd spent the last four years studying, including The Starry Night, by Vincent Van Gogh and works by two of my favourite photographers William Eggleston and Bill Brandt. I remember being completely 'art struck', amazed and inspired all at the same time.

MoMA -  Interior and Sculpture Garden, New York
MoMA interior and sculpture garden, New York - 2004

2. Moving to Japan
My first month in Japan was my most memorable. It was a 'mixed emotions' time where on some days I still couldn't believe I'd actually moved to Japan. Everything was so strange, I didn't understand a word of Japanese and it felt a bit like staring in Lost in Translation. I loved every moment.

Couple in traditional Japanese dress - Bentenjima, Japan
couple in traditional Japanese dress - Bentenjima, Japan - 2006

3. Laying eyes on the Taj Mahal - India
When I arrived at the Taj Mahal I was sick (think Delhi belly), tired and feeling quite harassed to be honest. But seeing the white marble tomb rise up to great me was one of those moments in time when everything else stopped to exist. Such a majestic piece of architecture.  

Taj Mahal - India
Taj Mahal, Agra - 2007

4. Being proposed to in Venice - Italy
What can I say - having the love of my life pop the question in one of the most romantic cities in the world will be something I'll never forget. Hubby had it all planned - beautiful hotel and suite with a private balcony overlooking the Rialto Bridge, bubbles on ice and a ring already chosen.

The 'streets' of Venice, Italy
Gondola ride, Venice - 2012

Feeling utterly and totally helpless as the second-largest living fish swims directly towards you with it's mouth wide open.

Swimming with Basking Sharks at the Isle of Cole, Scotland
Basking Shark off the Isle of Cole, Scotland - 2013

Thanks to Rebecca, Emma and Kelly for this great travel link-up.

15 comments:

  1. A proposal in Venice, sounds so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a complete surprise. Hubby completely swept me off my feet :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, you've got me thinking about what my 'pinch me' moments would be. Definitely the first glimpses I had of South Africa, as the plane landed, when I visited the country my parents had grown up in for the very first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds amazing. Have you thought about joining our link up?? Claire xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing these wonderful moments ;) You're making me want to travel again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I actually had to pinch myself while writing this post!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, swimming with sharks, you're brave! I would so love to see the Taj Mahal in person. Some day hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannielle. I'm always planning more trips. There are plenty of places on my 'some day' list. Fingers crossed we both get there.

      Delete
  5. WOW! The last one is so cool. (all of them are cool actually), but I would totally love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. Basking Shark Scotland does tours year round. I would absolutely recommend getting in there. And that area of Scotland is just beautiful too!

      Delete
  6. Oooh what awesome moments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some pretty awesome travel moments--good for you! The basking shark sounds awesome! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I could never swim with sharks - you go girl! And whilst I never loved MoMA (too many installations for my liking) I would love, love, love to live in Japan. What an exciting experience that was. Thanks a bunch for linking up with us for #SundayTraveler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those are awe-inspiring moments for sure! I love when I get a moment like that, I know it was all meant to be and all the problems I encountered were worth the headaches. Getting proposed in Italy?! that does sound wonderful :)
    I remember reading about swims with sharks in Scotland, I'll definitely have to look into it when I move back! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Web Analytics